Carbon Monoxide Alarm: Advice for Caravan Owners
How an audible Carbon Monoxide Alarm can save lives
Even those who are aware of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide
Poisoning in the home may forget the dangers this silent deadly
killer can create in a caravan or mobile home.
Carbon Monoxide is an odourless, invisible, deadly gas which
can be produced by badly serviced appliances, such as stoves,
cookers, generators and camping burners. In fact the gas
can be produced by anything that burns carbon based fuels, for
example gas, petrol, oil, diesel or wood.
The key advice to caravan and mobile home owners is broadly
similar to that for homeowners: first of all buy and fit
a Carbon Monoxide Alarm, or CO Alarm. The best for a
caravan an inexpensive, portable battery operated audible
We all probably remember to service our car, but do we remember
to service all the appliances we use inside our caravan or
mobile home, like the cookers or generators? Gas
appliances will have been sold as new to accord with safety
standards. They should be maintained by competent
engineers, certified by a recognised body. So remember,
in addition to buying an audible Carbon Monoxide Alarm, service
Next, remember not to block the ventilation to your
appliances. This is especially true if you in a caravan
and you are cold. Do not be tempted to cover ventilation
for cookers which serves an important purpose.
If you do have a caravan with a stove and chimney, make sure
this is kept clear of debris as well.
If your car engine is running nearby (or the engine in your RV
or mobile home) is running, its exhaust fumes will contain
Carbon Monoxide. You should ensure that your exhaust is
in good order and that exhaust fumes are not inadvertently
seeping into you caravan.
The greatest danger may be when you are asleep and have shut
all the windows, especially if you have left a gas or oil
appliance running to keep warm. An audible Carbon
Monoxide Alarm will ensure you are woken if you are in any
danger and may save your life.
Do not be a victim of the silent killer on holiday.
If in doubt you should take expert advice or seek emergency
Awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning can help save
lives. A Carbon Monoxide
Alarm is an essential for every home,
in addition to annual servicing of boilers and other
appliances. An audible Carbon Monoxide
Alarm is the key to saving lives. Do
not be a victim of the silent killer.
Article source and ©: http://www.carbonmonoxidealarm.info
This article can be freely reproduced, subject to
certain simple conditions - click
here. Select the text and copy
it into your website.
Alternatively, to print the
article, download the pdf
here (opens in new window).